Friday, 3 June 2011

Back to the iron-age!

We live in an area that has a rich history and lots of finds from the iron-age. DH's school is right next to multiple gravemounds. This house is an iron-age house built on the actual site of an iron-age longhouse.
Each year his school has an iron-age day. The pupils invite younger pupils from this area and tell them about the past.
Bread on a stick,
grilled fish,
heating stones
that were put in holes in the ground. One was for baking fish and the other had meat in it. 
Not quite iron-age footwear, but they did get the work done ..
the kiln,
one of the gravemounds near the longhouse
iron-age lawn-mowers,
a glimpse inside the longhouse. Inside, students and teachers and local crafters demonstrated crafts that existed in the iron-age; weaving, felting, making jewellery etc. 
Next year I must get photos of that .. I didn't think the pics would turn out so good, because it was very dark inside. And of course, I am careful about getting pupils on film.


The school has been doing this for about 20 years - and this was the first year it rained. It poured down! But the kids were interested and happy anyway! I enjoyed myself, too. 

1 comment:

  1. What an interesting story -- I think I would really enjoy Iron-Age Day!

    ReplyDelete

Been busy

It’s that time of year ! I have been quite busy and still have more to get done - will have to see how far I get.  I enjoy making a few C...