Friday, 16 July 2010

What's keeping me busy?

This is one of the things .... a string quilt. It's for a friend of mine. It's for outdoor (terrace) use, so I haven't used too many light fabrics. I thought this would make a big dent in my stash, but I'm surprised how little fabric I've used. At the moment the blocks are laid out on a bed, I'll get a better photo outdoors when it's done. It has been great fun sewing this.
I have got a pale green fleece I've planned on using for the backing - but will I still need wadding? And I think I will quilt in the ditch on each side of the middle strip.

And this has been my telly-work this week. No, it's not a hat! It's a skirt ! The colour is more cerise, really. It's for my granddaughter, but if it doesn't fit I have a great-niece (wow, that made me sound ancient!) that is a year younger. And then I'll make a slightly bigger one for "Missy".
I love this alpaca wool, so soft and easy to knit with.
Well, Friday again - so have a nice start to the weekend!

9 comments:

  1. I don't think you need batting if you are using a fleece backing. It would be just too much. Machine quilting will hold it all down or you could even tie it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm still a beginner in quilting , so i don't know to comment about the backing...the blocks look lovely

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well--you are just "stringing" along there aren't you????
    First with the lovely "sting" quilt for your friend and then with yarn (string) for the granddaughter--be care so you don't get all tied up in 'knots"!!!!!
    Hugs, Di

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your "string" projects. Gerry

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your string quilt is really nice, can't wait to see it finished. The bag from earlier post is so sweet. Little Sister.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the string piecing. I always want to make it one day. Wow knitted skirt, what's a lucky girl - Hugs
    Nat

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your string quilt is beautiful, makes me want to make another one - I made one years ago out of scraps from clothing...

    Yes to your idea of fleece on the back without the wadding/batting. I have done this and it quilts up beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  8. String-quilter er så fine, heldig er den som får denne :o) Har du sydd den på bomullslerret?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've always wanted to try a string quilt. They just look so awesome. YOURS is AMAZING! Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Been busy

It’s that time of year ! I have been quite busy and still have more to get done - will have to see how far I get.  I enjoy making a few C...