About time to overcome my dread of the sewing machine, I thought - so how about something summery (the weather is supposed to get better tomorrow) and easy - like a tote (a great tutorial on Moda bake shop). I had bought some pretty fabrics when I was in town Monday and I happily made the squares and laid them out making sure two of the same weren't beside eachother. I then sewed it together and look!!!
Didn't see that coming! That was lesson no 1. My machine has no extras for quilting so I decided to quilt in the ditch. Lesson no 2: that isn't as easy as it looks either. I think my brain has trouble with straight lines! So I machine embroidered a row of flowers along each row of squares hoping they will catch the eye and not my wonky seams. Quite pleased with that, so next time I'll go for a stronger contrast.
I did manage to put in a little innerpocket for my phone - I don't know how many times I've had to turn my bag upside down to find it. Quite a few bags have phonepockets, but they aren't always deep enough to keep the phone in there. Mine is!!Lesson no 3: next time I'm going to put in one of those magnetic buttons.
Otherwise I'm quite happy with it and will certainly make more - maybe some on a smaller scale? But this is going to be great for the summer - just right for those extra bits when taking the grandchildren out; cardies, bottles of water, wipes, toys they can't be bothered to carry anymore...... you know! Pluss my junk!
And I think I have hit on an idea for my sister's birthday in August.
AND I have a finish!
Lovely bag, I like the summery colours, and yes, I too have a great problem with straight seams... must come as we get older! off to find that bag tutorial now xxx
ReplyDeleteFlott veske i fine sommerfarver
ReplyDeleteSo, so cute! I love your fabric choices- very pretty and feminine.
ReplyDelete