Friday, 1 May 2009

White rabbits?

May 1st - and have you said "white rabbits"? My Nan taught me that you have to remember to say "white rabbits" every 1st of the month. It should be the first thing you say to bring luck and not tears the rest of the month. Anyone else heard of this? I must admit I still say it, although not always first thing....

And today is a national holiday here in Norway because May 1st is the International Labour Day. Traditionally celebrated with unions parading and/or protesting. In my more youthful days, I'd be on the barricades for women's causes. But thinking about it now I see that we have actually realised a lot of the things we fought for. Good childcare facilities for nearly all that want it, paid leave for new mothers and fathers, equal pay for same job are some. Things to be proud of, although todays generation take all this for granted. That makes me feel sooo old - as if I had been a suffragette handcuffed to railings.....

Over to some things I want to show you:
My garden is very natural. Mostly trees and bushes. I'm not a good gardener, so I tend to let things run wild. So I don't have a lot of flowers, but I do love this rhododendron. It has a wonderful blast of colour, but sadly it doesn't last very long. At the moment it lifts my spirit every time I look out the window.

I do have some other splashes of colour - plenty of this vivid yellow and green! Why did someone have to name it a weed? They are like little dots of sunshine. And they are faithful, strong and willing. Just the thing our planet needs? I have been doing some other stuff than meditating on my garden. This is a peek at a beginning of something.. bigger than anything I've done before. It's going to take time, but I'll let you have a glimpse now and then.


With love and light,

2 comments:

  1. I love those little dots of sunshine. My other half hates them because they show that the paddock needs slashing, but I think they look beautiful dotting the grass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In our family, we made sure that the words "rabbit, rabbit" were the first words we said on the first day of the month. That brought us luck (or so we hoped). I still say it sometimes, when I remember!

    ReplyDelete

Been busy

It’s that time of year ! I have been quite busy and still have more to get done - will have to see how far I get.  I enjoy making a few C...